Test plan progress report?

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:58 PM
I noticed one of the screenshots on the home page for this project contains a Test Plan Progress report that is not included on this project. Do you have anything like that? I've rolled my own test plan status report (and may be able to make it a little more generic and added to this project), but am curious about a test plan progress report that shows progress over time.
Coordinator
Apr 7, 2013 at 5:32 PM
Hi Dahlsailrunner,

The Test Plan Progress report shown on the home page is included in the download. There is also documentation for it under the Documentation tab.

With regard to a Test Plan Progress Over Time report, what metric(s) would you be tracking over time? I'd love to hear your ideas for making these reports even better.

Regards,
  • Steve
Apr 11, 2013 at 4:42 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have rolled my own "Test Plan Status" report that shows me overall status across plans with drill down into case status within each plan. It's pretty cool, but it also relies on process flow customizations that we have done (our release schedule is baked into it).

What I was really after here is to get summary level information at a plan level by date so that we could see the number of passed, failed,etc cases within a plan BY DATE, so you can see the progress of a plan over a weeks' time for example.

I've got some ideas on how to roll this but if you have already done anything like it I would love to see it.

Thanks!
-Erik
Coordinator
Apr 13, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Hi Erik,

Your idea sounds pretty cool. J

The current Test Plan Status report doesn’t have the capability to view the data “as of” a given date. It only returns the data as of the moment you run the report. I suspect that it is possible to add an “as of” filter on the date field so that the user could run multiple copies to see progress. I’m not sure how much effort it would be though.

If you’d like to give it a try, you can grab the report RDL and modify the underlying queries. If it works out, I can add you to the project and we can publish your version ( which will probably supersede the current version since your sounds better). J

Regards,

- Steve

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:51 PM
Edited Feb 21, 2014 at 7:04 PM
I think I’ve got a winner here, but it definitely requires a scheduled SQL task to run a query and save results to a table. The result is pretty cool: Screen shot below – you can see the drill down into the plan contents and then the history column for the trend over time. Long time coming but let me know if this is something you’re interested in having me post.

UPDATE: I just realized screenshot won't come through easily. Trying this OneDrive link.

Here is the screenshot

Thanks – Erik
Erik Dahl
Vice President of Software Systems Architecture and Development NWP Services Corporation .